Caldwell is an outstanding attorney. He truly cared about me as a client and was very responsive to my case. I am so grateful for his approach and guidance as he constantly took into account the best long term solution for me and my family.
— Michael M.
A Legal Career Dedicated to Family Law
Caldwell graduated cum laude with his J.D. from Campbell University’s Norman A. Wiggins School of Law. During that time, he served as an Editor of the Campbell Law Review. Immediately following law school, Caldwell completed a one-year clerkship under Chief Justice Burley B. Mitchell, Jr. of the North Carolina Supreme Court.
The next step in Caldwell’s career was joining the ranks of Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton, LLP – one of the twenty largest law firms in North Carolina. There, he developed his skills in private practice as a family lawyer, eventually becoming one of its partners before leaving to start Barefoot Family Law in 2010. Caldwell is proud of the work he’s done to build Barefoot Family Law into a full-service family law firm that handles all types of litigation, mediation, and other conflict resolution for claims involving divorce, child custody, and property distribution.
Recognition & Awards
With over 25 years of experience as a family lawyer, Caldwell’s been the recipient of several awards and acknowledgments. These recognitions come at the discretion of his peers, who provide such distinctions to a select number of attorneys in North Carolina.
- North Carolina Board Certified Family Law Specialist since 2005.
- Member of the Business North Carolina Magazine’s Legal Elite Hall of Fame since 2013, an honor shared with less than 20 other family lawyers – one of whom is his partner, Mariana Godwin.
- Voted as one of the Super Lawyer’s Top 100 lawyers across all practice areas throughout the state for 9 of the last 11 years, most recently for 2020, 2021, and 2022.
- Selected as a “Best Lawyer” each year for more than ten consecutive years, including being named as Lawyer of the Year in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers for Family Law attorneys in the Raleigh-Durham region.
- Recipient of the highest rating (AV-rated) from Martindale-Hubbell.
Scholarship and Community Involvement
In addition to private practice, Caldwell participates in other legal activities for the betterment of Raleigh and the practice of family law in North Carolina. He was the managing editor for the book, North Carolina Family Law Marital Claims (Second Edition). Caldwell served a three-year term on the Grievance Committee for Wake County’s Tenth Judicial District. He’s also previously served as the co-chair of the Alimony Committee for the North Carolina Bar Association’s Family Law Council.