Thanks so much to the amazing team!! We have been using them for years. Ms. Godwin is the best attorney in our book.
— Ed M.
A Legal Career Filled with Experience in Litigation and Family Law
Mariana graduated from Campbell University’s Norman A. Wiggins School of Law, where she first found a flair for litigation. During that time, she was a member of her school’s National Civil Rights Moot Court Team and was a member of the National Moot Court Team, which won first place honors and received the award of Best Brief.
Prior to joining Barefoot Family Law, Mariana practiced in the family law section of the law firm, Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton, LLP – one of the twenty largest firms in North Carolina. Her current practice at Barefoot Family Law covers all aspects of family law litigation and mediation, including matters of:
- Divorce and separation agreements
- Equitable distribution
- Post-separation support and alimony
- Child custody and child support
- Premarital agreements
Recognition & Awards
Over the years, Mariana’s work in family law and private practice has led to her receiving numerous honors from her peers in the North Carolina and Raleigh legal community:
- North Carolina Board Certified Family Law Specialist.
- As of 2020, she became a member of the Business North Carolina Magazine’s Legal Elite Hall of Fame, an honor shared with less than 20 other family lawyers, one of whom is her partner, Caldwell Barefoot. She received the most votes of any lawyer in the family law section that year, earning her a spot in the Hall of Fame.
- Listed as a Super Lawyer Rising Star for family law and is on the list of Best Lawyers in America for her practice area.
- In 2008, Mariana was invited into the Order of Barristers, a high honor that recognizes her excellence in courtroom advocacy.
Scholarship and Community Involvement
Mariana is an active member of the Raleigh and greater North Carolina legal community through her involvement in several endeavors. She is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association, the North Carolina State Bar, and the Wake County Bar Association. She participates as a member in the Family Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association by providing case law updates during the Section’s annual Continuing Legal Education Meeting. Mariana also volunteers with the “Lawyer on the Line” program to connect with and help those most in need.